Sunday, August 23, 2009

How do you encourage a Reverant Child?

I have a dream where I sit in sacrament meeting with my kids and I don't have to leave once for timeout with a screaming kid. I'm not wanting to be unreasonable but I would like to go to sacrament without dread. At this point I would like any ideas on how to keep a two year old from running around the chapel, or yelling/talking REALLY loud at her mom/cousin/brother. I'm not looking for a robot (I don't mind if she has to move around but is it too much for it to be done quietly) but I am fresh out of ideas of how to teach Emily the importance of reverence. I have seen a few of you with your kids in church and I admit I am totally envious. (Rita and Rachel to name just two.) Please send me some of your wisdom, because my next plan is to just not attend for a couple of years and I really don't want to do that.

4 comments:

Jennifer Barnes said...

We take books. Coloring books, or just books to look at. I even made a binder once of pictures of the savior and such to look at ONLY during the passing of the sacrament. It takes time though. My kids are just FINALLY making it through on a regular basis without having to go out. Of course, there is always bribery. :) Wendell has taken to stowing candy in his pockets, and if they make it through the sacrament they get a piece, then if they make it through the rest of the time they get another piece (jolly ranchers, life savers, etc). You could start off by making the bribe last through the announcements, then through the sacrament, then the first set of speakers, ect. Good luck!!

Rita Peck said...

WIsh I knew the answer as today my neighbor came to the rescue when my 4 were fighting not so quietly. Tyson was not reverant and it took two of us to keep him quiet. Now that he is the oldest the others usually follow is lead. We do the coloring because the kids all enjoy it. The trick is finding what they like to do. TOys only keep my kids interest for a short time. My mother in law said there was a lady in their ward with 6 quiet kids and it was cause they sucked on jolly ranchers during sacrament meeting. Good luck and know they do grow out of it

Anonymous said...

Felt books have been a lifesaver for me - sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. but we have felt books or a felt book and stories - Noah's ark is a favorite because of all the animals, but we also have BOM stories. I also take fruit leather and they get their "snack" if they are reverent until after sacrament. Some weeks are better than others - good luck!
Becca

Rachel Kingsley said...

I'm not sure why you mentioned me as having reverent children!?!?! Some weeks maybe. Others definitely not. We have a few ground rules: no food (but I bring sippy cups with water), no colouring (but I bring regular books), and no toys (except for babies)....and they have to stay in our pew (no laying on the floor). I do the 1-2-3 you're out deal - and take them out to the kitchen to sit on the countertop, legs dangling down, until they're begging to go back into Sacrament meeting and show me they can be reverent. I try to make Sacrament meeting the treat, not hanging out in the hall, you know?

I found once Daniel got to be around 4, he would actually pay attention to bits of talks (especially if I help him out, for example "Listen to Zoe's dad speak about the Book of Mormon") He will actually focus on the talk for 10 seconds or so.

OK, reading this I sound like such a Nazi - but I'm way more permissive than my mom was! I always think, if she could do it with 6 on her own, surely I can manage with only 3!! (plus a helpful father in law)

You'll do great! I'm sure you're fine already, we're always too hard on ourselves. :)