Last night my parents (and Steve) came over to our house to help with our front and back yard. My dad and Landon built a really nice ramp (not quite finished they are going to build it right to the stairs so that you won't have to step up onto it) for FREE! My dad scrounged around his wood supply and his store's throw outs to put it together. It is really nice. I am so excited because now Emily can walk up it safely. My mom was a saint and helped weed around the rose bushes and weed the grow boxes in the backyard. Someone, at sometime, had put a lot of work into building grow boxes and plant the rose bushes but they have been neglected for a little while. It is looking so nice. My dad and Landon also designed a fence to build around the back porch so that Emily can be outside without being able to run away.
The importance of the fence was shown last night as Emily disappeared. Yeah, she was with my mom and I in the front yard and then she was gone. I looked up to the front of the property where my landlords kids playtoys are but she wasn't there. So silly me, I assumed she was in the backyard with her dad and papa. When I went to check 10 min later she wasn't there. I was slightly freaking out! As I raced to the front yard I could see our next door neighbor (who's house is at the front of their acre property) coming into Nicki's yard and calling to me. There was Emily. She had seen the neighbor's kids playing on their fort/swingset and had gone to join them. I hadn't officially met them yet. I recognized them all because their oldest Isaac goes to the elementary school I teach at. He is in kindergarten. His sister Ella is almost 3. Their mom Laurie was coming to let me know that Emily was at her house and that it was okay that she was there. Nevertheless I went up and spent the next half hour with all of them. I wanted to introduce my self and apologize. She just laughed and said her son Isaac is alot like Emily, very social. She said Emily just walked up and said, "I Emmy." Emily had a blast with them. It is really nice to have kids for her to play with. Now she has Carissa at the front of yard and Isaac and Ella next door. The only problem will be to teach Emily when it is okay to go over. Actually when it was time to go, Emily just walked into their house and then told Isaac to come with her. Yeah, gonna have to work on that.
(We figured out that Emily had gone to the side of our property and ran as fast as she could up to the neighbors. That may sound silly but you haven't seen Emily run. If she gets more than two feet in front of me, I have to go in a dead run to catch her.)
(We figured out that Emily had gone to the side of our property and ran as fast as she could up to the neighbors. That may sound silly but you haven't seen Emily run. If she gets more than two feet in front of me, I have to go in a dead run to catch her.)





4 comments:
I understand totally. I love that my kids have friends close by to visit but sometimes they go without telling me. The other day it was the park and I found them at the end of the street about to cross and head to the park. OH children.
When you get a fence, you will LOVE it. That's scary. We rarely went outside when we didn't have one for those reasons. But in our neighborhood, parents let their kids run freely, no matter how young they are, without any adults to keep an eye on them! It's crazy. Then we end up being the neighborhood sitter since we are always with our kids when we're out front. I don't understand how any parent can be so comfortable....?
I'm glad she was OK! I hate that panicked feeling when you look around and they have vanished!!! Oh, 2 year olds!!! :) You must post photos of the finished yard. I also hate the exterior of our house. We're planning on painting this summer, and I'm really excited.
I must say a fence is the best thing we ever did. It gives me such a peace of mind when the kids are out playing. So glad she was safe. I guess she just wanted you to get to know the neighbors:)
Post a Comment