Sunday, June 26, 2011
Tomorrow is the Day!
Tomorrow morning we are leaving for Alberta. This past week has gone by so fast! We took a couple of days to go and visit with Landon's family so that we could say goodbye. It was nice to visit with Mel and Vauna and hear about their trip to see Lance, Amber, Livy and Ashton. Emily was able to attend her cousin Zack's birthday party. She had a lot of fun. Landon and I picked up the rest of his temple clothing while we just had Collin. Then we hung out for a little while with Haylee while Collin joined in the fun with the older kids. The kids had a lot of fun playing in the water and with the sand. Thanks Haylee! The kids were able to play with Zerric which was nice since we weren't able to see Cade and Janie. (Landon and Mel went out to see Cade later that night but I stayed with Vauna and put the kids to bed. It was nice to visit. We came home Friday with just enough time for a nap and then went to the ward potluck. It was a lot of fun. We have made some good friends and I will miss seeing them every week. Saturday was spent purchasing some last needed items. I got a new camera! I am so excited. It is nothing fancy and only cost $90 which is why we could buy it. I love it though. It is perfect for our needs. It is last year's model so we were able to get it for a screaming deal at Costco. We were able to get everyone packed and the house mostly clean by Saturday night. We had a lazy morning this morning and then off to church. It was an interesting day. Collin was so tired he was being very loud. Landon had to take him out and that left Emily and I. I was singing in the choir for the intermediate hymn and Emily decided to come with me. She spent the whole song wondering around the front. First she pushed over a stool to look over the front. Then she came to stand by me. Then she sat on the ground and crawled under the piano while the pianist was playing. I was so embarrassed. I kept a smile on my face but it was really hard. She and I had a little talk when we sat back down. Never, ever again! Primary was great. I will actually miss my class of boys. They are just so funny. Since the lesson was on Jesus healing the 10 lepers and the gratitude shown by one, I opened the class by going around the room and thanking each boy individually, and naming specific things, that I noticed the boys had done to make our transition as their teacher go easily. Each boy sat up straighter and smiled so brightly. I think that we often forget that even 10-12 year old boys need to be told what they are doing right. One boy has severe ADHD. He only comes to church (and goes to school) if he has medication and it is working for the day. He still struggles to control his body and outbursts. I just love him. He always has a huge grin and great comments. I complemented him on how much effort he puts in to listening in class and participating. I told him I knew it was really hard and that it meant a lot to me that he would do it. He got this surprised look on his face, grinned, and said, "It is really hard for me but I want to listen and be good." I almost cried. He looked so surprised that someone would notice and say thank-you for his effort. Sometimes it is too easy to find what kids do wrong. And not what they are doing right. Another boy comes from a family of boys who are "known" by many parents. He is the oldest and quietest. I will admit he was the one I was worried about liking the most when we started this class. But he has surprised me with his genuine answers and gentle personality. Landon complimented him on being our quiet strength in the class. His eyes opened wide and we got a rare huge smile. I told him that I had noticed at the park one day how his brother's asked him to help them move their bike and he did it without a question. I told him how I admired that because siblings are not easy. You could tell that he wasn't used to be described in such ways. He sat up straighter for the rest of class. Another boy is left at home a lot because his parents both work. He can be very pleasant when he wants to but I have struggled to like him. He and I sit together during Sharing Time so that things don't spiral out of control. I was unsure of what to complement him on but I felt prompted to tell him how intellegent he was. How I was impressed with his scripture knowledge and the ability to lead our class. He gave me a grin and was a perfect angel for the rest of the day. He even actively participated in singing time and sharing time. I was so impressed (and told him so). The other boy is almost 12 and quite ready to leave primary. I told him how I love how he makes us all laugh but that he is always willing to participate. And for showing some patience as he waits to go up to the Young Men. We really need to take more time to say our thank-you's. Everyone needs to hear what they are doing well. And when you compliment someone you can't help but love them a little more. In singing time they sang us a "farewell song" since they know that we will be gone for a month. It was a very nice thing to do. It is nice to think that we may be missed. (I know selfish. ;) ) Anyways we came home from church for some really good ribs that I had surprised Landon with. I secretly prepared them last night so they could marinate and then slow cooked them while we were at church. He loved them and it brightened his day. Landon is off making hospital visits with another man from church and I have finished placing everything at the door and put away everything that is not coming with us. The kids have had a late nap and so I am worried what time we will get to sleep tonight. But off tomorrow and on to an "adventure" as Emily tells everyone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
I absolutely LOVE this post! Thank you for sharing. I try so hard to remember to say please and thank you and not just be a bossy mommy. Thank you for the reminder of how nice it feels to be appreciated and how we should let others know how we appreciate them. I hope you guys really enjoy Canada and have a safe trip! Love you guys!
Post a Comment