Friday, May 8, 2009

Sharing and the Lessons We Learn

Last Sunday at church Emily had a lesson in nursery on sharing. Everyday she was to roll her sharing dice and then share something. So Monday Emily and I made cookies. She loves to cook and cookies are her favourite to eat so it worked out great. Then I packed three plates of cookies and our little family went out to visit the neighbors. I thought that it would be good for Emily to share cookies with her friends. She was so proud of herself to hand over the plate of cookies. It was really cute. Then we went next door to the neighbors who we haven't had really any contact with. They have a bit of a feud going on with our landlords and so things started off really rocky with us being caught inbetween. I decided that if I was going to teach Emily about sharing I might as well teach myself to share with those who may have offended me. It was a great lesson! They were a little surprised to see us on their doorstep but we introduced ourselves and offered the cookies. They thanked us a lot and introduced themselves. Rather tentatively they let us know that the bear who had taken off with our garbage (my mom helped me clean up all that we could find but it took off into the woods on their property) had left it in a pile on the elderly lady's property next to them. They then offered to show us the box they built last summer to protect their garbage cans. We ended up having a very nice visit. They even said Emily could try out their tire swing but we knew if she did she would be running away to their house as well. :) Sometimes we think that we know someone by looking on the outside and judging their actions. But as we take the time to get to know them we are taken by surprise by the great people that are there. I am very grateful that the Lord blessed us with not only the perfect little house for us but it is surrounded by wonderful people.

1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

Great lesson for all of us