Friday, April 22, 2011

Our Date Night

Landon had to attend the ISU presentation of Shakespeare's Merry Wives of Windson for his English class. We decided to make it a date night and attended the performance last night. As it was a school night our usual babysitter Kestral was unable to babysit (she is almost 14). Her older brother who is 16 called to let us know that Kestral was unable to babysit but that he himself was rather good with kids and that he would babysit if I needed someone. (He honestly said that, he always makes me laugh. He is in choir with me.) I told Colter that I would love for him to babysit. Landon was worried how it would go but agreed. I answered the door last night and Colter came in, shook my hand and said, "Good evening, Sister Palmer. How are you tonight?" And then knelt down, shook both the kids hands, introduced himself and asked them what their names were. Emily excitedly said her name. Collin on the other hand stared up at him and had to be asked twice. Collin's reply was, "I'm Batman." Colter just grinned and said that he loved Batman. That made Collin grin and I knew all would be okay. Especially after I showed Colter around and Colter noticed the HeMan DVDs and toys and told Collin that he really liked HeMan. We ran out the door and arrived at the play a few minutes before it started. It was in a small theatre and the set was amazing. They moved the play to Arizona and set it in 1885. A little of the dialogue had to change because of this but other than that it was consistant with the original play. It was hilarious. Mistress Quickly and Sir John were by far our favourites and we laughed and laughed and laughed. I was very impressed. The play ran 2 and half hours so we didn't get home till just after 10 o'clock. Landon waited in the car while I went in. I had left my keys in the car and so I rang the doorbell hoping Colter would answer the door. After three rings I went and got Landon's keys and let myself in. I found Collin asleep in his bed but didn't hear anyone else. I went down to the playroom and found Emily passed out on our giant "crash bag" (bean bag stuffed with foam form lay-z-boys). Next to her was Colter also passed out but he was laying face down. I said his name quietly, he didn't answer. I said it loudly, he didn't answer. So I kicked his foot and said his name, no answer. I walked around and grabbed his arm and calling his name, no answer. By this time I am recalling Matthew at this age and I'm giggling. I put my hand on his back and shake really hard, and telling him that we are home. Colter suddenly bolts up on his hands, looks around the room with really big tired eyes, and then just as suddenly crashes back down and goes back to sleep. I am laughing now, shake him again and this time help him to his feet. I help him up the stairs and at the top he is awake enough to apologize for falling asleep. I told him no apology was needed as both my kids were asleep and it was 10 o'clock on a school night. As he left he said, "What play did you see?" I said, "The Merry Wives of Windsor." He grins and says, "Shakespeare was the man." Then he was out the door telling me he would say hi to his sister for me. I thanked him, closed the door and burst out laughing. A wonderful way to end the night. Landon joined the laughing when he got home and I told him about it. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude that is hilarious!! :D Your kids probably wore him out! lol They are so cute and I'm glad you were able to go out and enjoy the play. Sounds like a great time! Hope you guys have a great Easter!

Rita Peck said...

That is awesome. What a fun time. Glad the play turned out good.

Anonymous said...

That is funny! I'm glad you guys enjoyed the play.