Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Nailpolish and the bathtub

Have you ever wondered what would happen if you dumped a bottle of bright pink nail polish in the bathtub?

Emily has answered that long standing question for you...

It stains EVERYTHING.

Including herself, her little brother and the bath tub.

I came running when Collin started screaming. When I first came in I thought that they were covered in blood. Then I saw the empty bottle. Emily had already climbed out of grandma and papa's bathtub. I told her stand in the shower until I cleaned Collin off. He was in the process of rubbing his eyes. I quickly grabbed paper towel and nail polish remover to get it off his hands. Then I wiped it off his eye brow which made him scream and I was worried that I had gotten the remover in his eye. So I flushed it with water and used water soaked paper towel to get it off his face. Luckily that worked. Two days later he still has a little pink tinge to his right eyebrow. I cleaned both Collin and Emily off and then surveyed the damage to the tub. I should add that my parents had to wait till we all moved away so that they could build their dream bathroom. It is gorgeous. And now their beautiful tub was pink. Due to it being dumped into the water and then the water drained, lots of it rinsed away. (If Emily hadn't opened the drain the cleanup would have been much easier.) I called my dad to ask what I should use. (My parents had just left so that my mom could drop my dad off at the ferry because he had to leave on business for the federal United Way for a couple of days.) He told me that he was sure only acetone would take it off and that would take the finish off of the tub as well so when he got back he would call someone to come and refinish the bath tub. Not cool. So since the remover I had was acetone free I spent the next 35 minutes scrubbing out a bathtub with it. Problem was that Collin did not have a diaper on so I had to clean up messes of number 1 and 2 while cleaning out the tub. Oh the joy. After 35 minutes, a bottle of remover used up, a massive headache from the fumes, soaked in sweat from the wonderful heat and humidity and the bathtub was mostly cleaned out. A light pink color was on the bottom but I was out of remover. As I was finishing my mom got home. She said it looked like the finish was gone but hopefully it would be covered under home insurance. I wasn't too happy with my daughter. But on inspection the next day after my mom bought a new bottle of remover and got rid of the last of the pink we think that the finish is still there. My dad will have to be the judge of it when he gets home tonight.

Now you know the answer to the age old question of nailpolish in the bathtub. And now I can mostly laugh about it. I wish I could say my daughter has learned her lesson but only this morning she stole grandma's good felts and drew circles on the outside of the basement door.

Life is definitely not boring with Emily around.

(No pictures because I was in panic mode and my camera batteries are dead and the charger for them is in Idaho. Did I say lately how much I love living out of a suitcase?)

2 comments:

Rita Peck said...

My kids have painted my toilet and tile floor with nail polish.So fun. Good luck

Luscher Family said...

wow.

I hope your little artist finds some paper next time. I would like to know if the tub does need to be refinished.