Friday, January 1, 2010

I met up with a friend from high school this week, Amber Kenmuir, to catch up on all that has happened in the almost two years since we've seen each other. The first question she asked caught me off guard. She asked if I felt any different now that I was a mom. I quickly answered that the weird part is that I didn't feel any differently. Actually there are plenty of time I feel like it isn't even real. I know that I carried both my children for full term pregnancies, delivered them but still it is surreal that I am a mom. The only time I really feel different is when they are sick or hurt. It is gut wrenching to watch your child sick or hurt and you are powerless to help them. Sure I can give out doses of tylenol and ask for priesthood blessings on their behalf but not the pain and discomfort. I worry that they might get sicker and what if I lose them. I ache for every mother that I know and don't know personally who has lost a child. At those moments I would literally give anything to take away their pain. I love being a mom. I wouldn't change it for the world. It has changed the direction in my life from one of selfishness to one of selflessness. I have a better understanding of the love my Heavenly Father and my elder brother Jesus Christ have for each of us. There are many days that the word "mom" coming from my daughter's mouth makes me cringe because I just want five minutes to myself. But out of all the jobs that I do and everything I have done so far in my life the title of Mom is what I hope defines me most of all.

4 comments:

Rachel Kingsley said...

Beautifully written, Tamara! I feel the same way. Hope you guys have a great New Year!

Rita Peck said...

I agree. And that is why you are still in the running in my book. When you stop feeling that is when you need to worry.

Luscher Family said...

don't feel too bad, it is only is fat lip. I had to rush Grayson to the ER at 4am this morning because he was throwing up and shaking after falling dowm 5 stairs earlier in the evening. He has a concussion! You've definately got me beat for mother of the year. Besides those girls really are too cute. Did he really have another option?

Luscher Family said...

oops wrong post, see what I mean, I'm a space case