Saturday, January 16, 2010

Perception

An event today helped me put a few things into perspective.

I do not have any real trials in my life.

I realize this now.

At least not compared to my student who came today to me today. Imagine living with a physical disability which limits your height, leaves you with subtle differences in your facial features to those of your peers, and lower cognitive ability. You are prone to be quick to anger and are working so hard each day to build your social skills and tame your anger. You think you are friends with a girl and then someone informs you that she thinks you are creepy. And to top it off your father, who you have always looked up to, suffers from MS and now has to use a walker to be able to walk. Your parents are divorced and DO NOT get a long. As my student confided in me with tears running down his face I realized I do not know what trouble is. I am so blessed. I have known this student since I moved back to PR. I have watched him grow and struggle. What an example he is to me.

May I always remember my blessings.

1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

Thanks for the reminder. It is amazing what trials others have. And I am frustrated my daughter doesn't want to potty train. Thanks for teh kind reminder