Have you ever found yourself perfectly blissful in your ignorance, and then someone makes one comment and suddenly the bliss is gone and you can only see the ugly truth????
I love my kids. I think they are cute. I'm not ignorant I know that everyone thinks that their kids are cute. I also know that sometimes we say someone else kid is cute when we don't really think so. (Is that admitting too much???) But I was perfectly happy thinking that when people said my kids were cute that they weren't having to stretch the truth. It's not that I think my kids would be on the cover of any magazine but I think they are pretty darn adorable. Well that is until the other day....
I was at a birthday party and two people were looking/holding/playing with Collin. They turned to me and said, "Have you noticed that Collin has different eyes." I said, "Oh you mean the colour. Yeah they are a really cool shade, the same as Landon's eyes." (They are a vibrant shade of blue.) And the reply was, "No, they are a weird shape. They are just different. Kind of like the shape of his head." (Collin has this slight dent that runs across the top of his head from temple to temple. He's had it since he was born. This is the first time someone has pointed it out.) I was caught a little off guard and said I hadn't really noticed and then changed the subject.
Now I haven't stopped thinking my son is adorable but now I figure its only because I'm his mom. I wonder if everyone has had to "stretch" the truth when talking about him. I've even asked a few people if they've noticed these traits. And both said that they'd noticed he had smaller eyes but not the head thing. (My mother told me Rita and I had the same type of dent when we were babies.) I just feel kind of cheated.
Oh please come back, blissful ignorance!
Monday, November 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
Here's the truth: your son IS adorable! And those people were being really rude. I've never noticed anything "different" about Collin - he is such a cutie pie. You must put it out of your mind! :)
FUnny thing is I love his eyes...the shape make him look happy all the time. Like he has to squint to smile more. Never stretched the truth about how adorable he is. I love him. SOrry rude people are around.
Alright, all I have to say is PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS! Sorry, if that offends anyone. Collin IS ADORABLE and there isn't one thing about him that looks "weird" to me. I think Lando is handsome and Collin looks just like him! And you're beautiful and he's got some of your traits too. It just blows my mind why someone would even think that, let alone say it to you. I'm sorry. They are dead wrong! IGNORE people like that!
I did not notice Collin looking anything other than adorable. Now I may try to see the head dent, eye thingy, but really, I'm still going to see a mish mash of your and Landon's features in that adorable little blond boy.
Post a Comment