Monday, September 7, 2009

Working Mom: Any Hope?

Just after I went back to work (after Emily), I was talking with two other people about kids and raising them: pitfalls, etc. We represented a full time mom, part-time working mom and then me a full time working mom. The full time mom started talking about how she couldn't see how a working mom could do everything a child needed because they weren't there for so much and when they got home they were tired. She was talking about kids, home, husband etc. I don't believe she was meaning to be malicious. She was overwhelmed with everything on her plate and she just couldn't see how you could add in work and keep up with it all. I was hurt, and worried. I'm a full time working mom who feels guilt about all of that every time I walk out the door to work and during every meeting that doesn't allow me to get home right after school. Even being home everyday for the last 7 months hasn't relieved any guilt. I have a very precocious two year old and a beautiful baby boy. I'll admit I'm scared to go back to work. I haven't been able to keep up with everything (kids, house, husband) and I've been home each and every day. Now I will be gone between 7-9 hours a day, four days a week. Not counting the reading intervention practicum work that I have to get done by March. I think back to that conversation and worry, do my kids have a chance? I've been reading a parenting book because I realize that I have no idea what to do with Emily. I'm tired of being frustrated with her behaviour. I love the book and have gotten great suggestions, but its added to my guilt. It describes three parents which are all behaving in different way that stifles a child's personality and can lead them to feel bad about themselves. I am doing two and half of the behaviours! So much to work on. Do my kids have a chance? They have their dad and grandma to look after them while I am gone, and both love them as much as I do. But is that enough?

8 comments:

Rita Peck said...

Awh sweetie I don't envy your position but if anyone can do it you can. You have an amazing ablity to just keep loving more and do more. I know you may not feel able to do it all but with the help from those around you you can. The kids love you and as long as they know you love them then the battle is half over. I wish you the best. My heart aches for you.

Natalie said...

My mom worked part-time and finished her masters while Karolien and I were little and we turned out just fine. So far at least ;) I don't think it matters how much you are home but the quality of time that you spend with your kids. As long as your children feel love and trust, which I am 100% they do, they will be just fine. Your kids are sooo lucky to have grandparents and uncles and aunts to pay attention to them and love them when you are not around and a mom who cares about them enough to worry about going back to work. It'll all work out.

Rachel Kingsley said...

Don't beat yourself up too much! It seems like part of being a mom is feeling guilty a lot of the time. What is the name of the book? I should probably read it too! :)

Janice Tofsrud said...

I know how you feel, I've been thinking a lot lately about what it will be like when I have to go back to work in February. Guilt, disappointment, desire to be the one with my daughter all day...

Kenton and Haylee said...

I bet it is hard to work full time, wanting to be able to stay home with your kiddies. But you are an AMAZING mother Tamara. It's natural for any mom to feel guilty, working or not! Heaven knows I do. Don't let what people say get to you. You do what you need to and you happen to need to work to help provide for your family. Every situation is different. Hang in there Tamara! Maybe one day you will be able to stay home all the time. But then you might wish you could go back to work! ;). Love you!

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post about my horrible week. I've been feeling so bad I didn't know what to say to you when you were feeling bad! I'm so sorry! Your idea for me to come up there is AWESOME! If Daija wasn't in school I would be packing my car right now! Do my kids need passports? That could be a problem too....hmm.. Maybe I can talk to Chad and we can plan a little trip. No promises but I promise a big push from my end!!! :) Love you! I hope you feel better. And I'm doing a little bit better today! :)

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Sorry about the previous comment, I just hadn't finished it yet and couldn't go back and edit, so I just deleted it.
Anyway, I was saying you are an amazing person and your children are so lucky to have you for their mother. I am hoping that you will be moving closer next year and we can hang out more. I love to be around you. I'm sorry you are struggling with the whole work thing right now. Hang in there. And do tell us what the book is.