I have to relate a lesson I learned today about my husband.
To preface this I must say that the nature of my job leads me to work with some parents who are highly emotional and protective of their children. This last week we had to make a hard call on class composition and some students (who happen to be on my caseload) had to be removed from one class and placed in another. I had personally talked to one set of parents who did not want their son removed. Long story short there was nothing we could do but move the students. This afternoon I received a very nasty phone call from the father of this student. (Yes, it is Saturday and it was made to my home phone.) I was taken back when I realized who was on the phone and then content and language was more than I could handle. As I tried to explain the school's position I was continuously interrupted and received another barrage of insults and swearing. Needless to say I was in tears by the time I hung up the phone. The parent was demanding a meeting with me, the principal and vice principal Monday morning. Luckily I have a brother with access to all school district personnel phone numbers so I was able to contact my principal. I was a little hysterical on the phone but my principal calmed me down and said that I should use my caller id and only answer phone numbers I recognized. When I got off the phone with her Landon asked for the phone. I asked why, and he informed me he was calling this man back to tell him to never call our home again. I begged him not to because I thought it would make the situation worse. And my shining knight told me that he would not sit by and watch his wife be verbally assaulted in her own home. That if this man had a problem with what was going on at school than he should contact the school not my home. He promised he would be calm and non threatening. He only wanted to inform him if he called our home again then he would be hearing from the police. Landon went outside for the call. He came back in five minutes later. The man had stepped out but Landon talked with the wife. He explained that he did not appreciate receiving phone calls on the weekend and he did not appreciate how I was talked to. He told her that I was a young mom of two just returning from maternity leave. I was new to the position and that I cared deeply about all of my students. (I was accused of removing student because they were "slow and handicapped.") He explained my side of the story and told her that there had better not be a next time and if there was than they would be hearing from the police. She apologized for her husband and said that when he gets upset he becomes very emotional and says things without thinking. And that they hadn't realized all the facts. Landon said that it was too bad that the husband hadn't called to find out facts and informed her that I had tried to explain them multiple times but that her husband had interrupted with language that was unacceptable. She apologized again and they ended the conversation. Just over an hour later we received another phone call from an unlisted number. I did NOT pick up the phone. Landon answered and it was the husband calling to apologize. He apologized for the way he spoke to me and promised it would not happen again. Landon thanked him for the apology and told him it was accepted and said that he was right it had better not happen again. I cried in relief. Landon told me that he will never (and I am never to ask him again) stand by idly as his wife or any of his children are treated with any kind of disrespect. I married such a wonderful man. I don't know if I could have called them back and spoken calmly and reasonably. I would have been saying hurtful things and getting angry.
I know that my husband loves me and that he will always be there for me and the kids.
Side note: About 10 minutes later, my principal called to make sure that I was okay. She informed me that since Monday is my day off that I am not to come in to the meeting and that she would take care of everything. The only reason I have survived this last week at work is because of the incredible support system I have at work and at home. One of my coworkers in the special education department told me that the department was all in the same boat. That we would either arrive safely or all go down together. They have helped me so much and without complaint or annoyance. If anything I have never had so much praise and encouragement ever. And Landon and my parents have helped me in every possible way at home to keep my head above water. I am so blessed!
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Oh sweetie. I had that happen once too and it is so hard when it comes into your home of all places. Glad Landon was there to help. Good luck with everything. I know you can do it. Wish I was closer to help
What a great husband you have. I am sorry that you had to deal with that awful situation. Hope things get better.
Tell Landon he did good! I know how passionate you are about your teaching and you deserve only the best! I hope things are better now!
Post a Comment