Thursday, July 2, 2009

Time Out and Wasps

I am loving VACATION! Just what I needed. Emily is loving all the playtime with cousins. But not all has been candy canes and rainbows.......

As I was unpacking the car in Mantua, Emily started to cry. I ran over. She was sitting on my inlaws front porch holding her foot. She pointed to a wasp laying on the front step and said, "Bee gave owies." Yep, she stepped on a wasp. She became more upset once her dad tried to put ice on it. She asked me to kiss it better and then ran off to play. And then it happened.....

Emily asked me for her bottle. I told her that during the day we only have sippy cups. So the temper tantrum started. Nothing was going to calm her down until she had her bottle. Landon decided that since we were finally somewhere with a door she could go into his old room (where we would be staying) and have some time to herself. The minute he shut the door she was trying to open it. And that was when it happened.....

Next thing we know Landon is at the top of the stairs asking his mom when they put a lock on his bedroom door. His mom said they hadn't. I guess he has always had a KEYED Lock on his bedroom door. It was there when they moved in. No one knew it existed. And yes, Emily had locked herself in. As the scramble began to try and find a key I sat and sang to Emily outside her door. Put my fingers under the door (which she stamped on) and even pushed a cookie under to her. She started sobbing, "I'll sippy mommy, I'll sippy." Broke my heart. The hinges were on the inside of the door. Lance volunteered to break the window while Landon volunteered breaking down the door. (both ideas discredited due to expense and the fact that Emily was on the other side of the door. Mel decided it was time to break off the door handle. As he went to find the tools, Lance came running up the hallway with a set of keys. Vauna had been searching through drawers and found a set of keys she didn't recognize. Sure enough key number 2 fit the look and out came my daughter. A sippy and a cookie brought the crisis to an end. And then it happened......

For dinner Landon's aunt Nondis and some of her family, along with all of Landon's siblings came for a potluck bbq. After dinner Emily and her cousin Kenlee were swinging on a two person swing. Next thing I know my sister in law Janie is walking a sad looking Emily into the house. I guess a wasp was climbing down the rope of the swing and decided my daughters arm looked good. Yep, second time she was stung. This time no tears. My daughter is a tough one! She had just turned to her aunt Haylee and said something about owie and bee. Emily was back playing with the kids within minutes. She even asked to go on the swing. But it was off limits until my father in law Mel could spray it down.

2 comments:

Brian said...

Oh my goodness! I bet you were SOOO glad to get to bed that night. What a tough girl Emily is- I know if that had been me, I'd have freaked out all day about the wasp thing- and then to be locked in a room- yikes! Good thing kids are so resilent:)

Rita Peck said...

Poor Emmie. I admit I did find the locked door story kinda funny. Only to Emily