Tuesday, July 19, 2011
Hull Family Reunion/Get Together
Last summer my dad put together a weekend of camping for his brothers, their wives, and posterity. It was held at Qualicum Bay Resort and it was a ton of fun. My dad's aunt and uncle (Mel and Rita Hammel) and his cousin Sally were able to join us as well. Because it went so well we decided to have it again this year. My dad booked the sites including a cabin for his family to stay in. As the weekend approached we wondered if anyone would come as the forecast said rain, clouds and more rain. My cousin Megan is due the first of August and since she lives in Ontario we knew she wouldn't be able to make it but hoped that others would come. My little family left on the noon ferry on Friday so that we could spend some time in Nanaimo doing a little shopping and reminiscing of times we spent there. My parents came over on the 5 oclock ferry and we made plans to meet up at 7:30 pm at Qualicum Bay Resort. The kids and I slept the hour and half drive to Nanaimo. We visited Costco, drove around a bit and then went to the mall. We were able to find a batman toy for Collin who was ecstatic. Landon and I treated ourselves to a few things and I was able to have New York fries Veggie Fries. Mmmm! We were late leaving so we didn't get to Qualicum Bay Resort until 8 pm. It had stopped raining. Finally! It ended up my Uncle Mel and Aunt Judy had been there most of the afternoon and had not been able to put up their tent because the rain was coming down so hard. So they rented the cabin next to my parents. My cousin Dalia and her daughter Jada were there but because of the rain were going to stay with Dalia's uncle in Qualicum. She promised to come back the next day. I put the kids and myself down to sleep early. The cabins sleep eight due to two double loft beds, a double bed and a futon. We put the kids on the double bed, Steve on the futon and my parents and Landon and I took each of the beds up the ladder. It worked pretty well except having to climb down the ladder at night to look after the kids. The next morning we slept in and enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. My aunt and uncle put their tent up and we visited with them for a little while. My mom, Aunt Judy and I went for a walk up on the trails through the forest. It was really fun talking with them and just walking in a peaceful place. It was beautiful and I wish I had brought my camera. My Mel and Judy came for lunch at my parents cabin. We needed a few things so Landon decided to go for a 3 hour drive to get them. :) By the time he got back my cousin Dalia had come back with Jada. My cousin Amber and her husband Neil and kids Sophie (5) and Graham (1) arrived around 3 pm. They had decided not to stay the night camping but to stay with Dalia in Qualicum. My Uncle Wayne and Aunt Cee showed up around 3:30pm. Aunt Cee's daughter Karen came by with her husband and new puppy for a few minutes as well. Around 4 pm it started to rain. Not just rain but dump buckets and buckets of rain. Everyone piled into my parent's small cabin. My dad, 2 uncles and Neil decided to put up a tarp. I documented with lots of pictures becuase it was quite humourous. But eventually they got it up and a fire started. It was a little smokey but fun. Hans Stussi, a family friend and owner of the Resort, came to visit with us for awhile and made us all laugh with his stories. The kids mostly stayed in the cabin with Landon keeping a watchful eye on them. Collin loved the fire. He kept blowing on it. :) The kids came out to cook hot dogs and make smores. It was a small percentage of us there but it was a lot of fun! We missed those not there but have plans for next year. The best part is that they've booked 3 cabins and 2 tent sites so even if it rains we should be able to stay dry. :) As soon as I get the pictures off my camera I will post them. Emily kept telling me how much she LOVES camping. I didn't have the heart to tell her staying in a cabin with a flush toilet, heating, mattresses, and a kitchette are not camping. But there was a fire and we did get soaked so I will let her think it for now. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment