Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Friendships
Sometimes when I hear the saying, "When God closes a door he opens a window" I get a little annoyed. I'll admit it. Mostly because I wish that he had just left the door open. Lately I had started to feel like the door was shut. I felt that I had put forth all this effort to make friends and everyone loved that I put forth the effort but did not feel any need to reciprocate. I realized I was doing all the work and I became very frustrated. Last Thursday was the worst. I even cried a little at work. My poor husband. He got a phone call in between his classes from a crying wife. He listened and told me he loved me. Not much else he could do. I came home from work feeling very sorry for myself. As I approached my door I saw a package sticking out of the mailbox. I didn't remember ordering anything so I was excited to see what it was. It was an envelope from my friend Amber. Amber and I have seen each other maybe twice over the last 7 years. We worked together in my first classroom. She is in my top three student support workers I have EVER worked with. She is fabulous. We have kept in touch through email and now through each other's blog. The last time I saw her was March when I visited her home in Logan. Inside was a book: "Finding the Angel Within: Spirituality, Body Image, and Self-Worth." She had enclosed a letter that was so beautiful. As she had read her own copy of this book she had remembered my New Year's resolution to increase my feelings of self worth and so she went out, bought me a copy and sent it to me. The words she spoke of our friendships truly healed my hurt heart. (Cheesy but very true.) You see, people don't do things like that for me. Not very often. She is the second person outside of my family to ever do it. I realized then that God had opened a window. He had allowed me to see that I do have friends. True friends. I may not see them often but they truely love me. So I stopped my pity party and have opened my eyes to the true friends in my life. I want to thank those people. You know who you are. You have blessed my life in so many ways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
What a great friend!
I completely sympathize with you, making true friends is hard sometimes.
I'm sorry Tamara, I know exactly how you feel. You'll have to come and visit us this summer, that would be fun.
If the book turns out good send it my way please. Good friends always seem to know what to do. You need to send those pics of Emily so I can make a poster
Believe it or not, I know EXACTLY how you feel. I've come to realize that once you're married, have kids and have moved on in life, friends are very hard to come by. Especially true friends. It's been hard for me to accept, but I know all that matters is my family right now. Maybe one day I'll meet my "kindred spirit", but for now I'm just thankful to have Kenton and my kids who fill and bless my life in ways no friend ever could =). Love you Tamara! Keep that chin up!
I am so glad that it came in your time of need. And I am so grateful for you too!!!
Post a Comment