Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Emily's First Recital

January 10th was Emily's first Dance Recital! Emily, her cousin Cassie and friend Hallie have been taking Ballet and Tap once a week at the Rec Center. It is really affordable and Emily loves it. She had a hard time at first listening to the teacher but she got better and by the end was always listening. The recital was at Pocatello High School in their auditorium. There are 119 dance students through the rec center. Luckily Emily's class is the youngest so they got to perform 1st and 5th. She did so well! My wonderful friend Suzanne did her hair. She had to have her bangs pulled back, half pony and bottom in curls. Emily would not cooperate and so Suzanne offered when I asked for some tips. Suzanne is the BEST hair dresser. (well she ties with Naomi so those who know how fantastic my sister is you know this is HIGH praise.) Emily sat like an angel for her. Her hair was in the cutest ringlets and I totally forgot to get a picture of them! We ran home, jumped in the car and put Emily's makeup on at the school. She loves that she wears makeup to dance class. The school lent me a video camera so I was able to tape Emily's dances (ie zoom in on Emmy and Cassie.) A student aide at school the next day put my video in dvd format. He even did an intro with Emily's name on it. I did pan out at the beginning to show how big the audience was but I guess he thought that was an accident because he cut it out of the video. The video file was too big to put up here and one of these days I'll get the smaller version from Nic and post it. Emily did an incredible job! Landon sat with Collin while I went up front to video. Poor guy! I forgot to tell him when Emily's was dancing so he didn't even realize she was performing for the first dance. (There were 8 girls in her dance class and with her bangs pulled back he couldn't recognize her.) He recognized the wings and antennas for their bug routine but couldn't figure out which one she was. He watched the video today and told me it is chaos set to music. :) Emily's antenna's came off during the tap routine but she put them back up. It made her almost miss her favourite part of the routine but she got to do one jump. She was so happy to have her picture taken with her two friends at the end. She is sad that dance is over now but she will be starting ballet and tumbling next month.

A collage of the dance recital

Emily's dance poster Rita made (she didn't want to put her dance shoes back on)

Hallie, Cassie, Emily and Miss Katelyn (their dance teacher)

No comments: