Sunday, January 30, 2011
Emily's BIrthday Party
I will tentatively say that Emily's Birthday Party was a success. Only her cousins from Utah and one friend from Pocatello were unable to attend. She had eight friends come: Maddie, Bodie, Isaac, Abby, Hallie, Cassie and Maggie. Tyson and Russell came to help me by causing trouble along their journey (with my permission.) With the wonderful last minute loan of a sewing machine from Lela Anglesey I was able to get all the back packs made. I had enough for everyone including the people who didn't come. I sent the extras home with kids who had younger siblings that would like them. Two of the kid's parents Quinn (Maddie and Bodie) and Kaylene (Isaac) stayed to help which was really nice. In the backpacks I put 7 ft rope, a map, a flashlight, a pocketbook and a pencil. I told the kids that Swiper had stolen all the stars and that we were going to go on an adventure to find them. The first step was to memorize where we had to go: animals, cave, birthday party. The second step: I had Tyson and Russell hide the littlest pet shop pictures I had taken from Emily's bedroom and told the kids that they needed to round up the animals and put them behind the fences that matched the number of animals in the pictures. The kids had fun finding all the pictures and matching the numbers. Then we proceeded to the third step, decending into the cave. They took out their ropes which had a loop/knot tied onto one end. They would walk to the top of the stairs, have me hook the loop through the carabiner which was at the top of the stairs and then "repel" into the cave. (ie walk down the stairs backwards holding the rope). Three quarters of the way down the rope would end and they had to slide the rest of the way down on their behinds. It was really cute. Then we had to turn on our flashlights as we ventured farther into the cave. :) There are no windows on one half of our basement so it got dark, fast. As all the kids found their way into the tv room there was a "rockslide" (ie Tyson and Russell moved the crashbag into the doorway so no one could get out.) I told the kids that the magic potion in front would tell us who was strong enough to push the rock out of the way. The potion that turned blue told us who could do it. (I had put a drop of food colouring onto a spoon and covered it with baking powder and then put vinegar in cups.) The kids loved watching the bubbling and colour change by the light of their flashlights. Bodie got the blue cup, so with his dad's help (he's a year older than Collin but the same size) he pushed the rock away and we were able to get back to the stairs. The kids had to crawl up the tall mountain to get back upstairs. In the living room I had a pinata waiting which had candy and some paper stars in it. Tyson and Russell took turns holding it in the air as the kids took turn hitting it with ..... a wooden spoon. Yeah I wasn't so good at planning that part. It was fun to watch some of the shy kids really get into it. Bodie was wailing so hard we made people take a step back. And Isaac wanted to do it twice. With a big grin on his face. Eventually I handed Quinn a hammer and he had to hit it three times to get it to come apart. It was a well built pinata. :) The kids scrambled to grab as much candy as they could. After we opened presents where Emily was spoiled with Dora playdough set, a Cinderella barbie, a fairy barbie, a box of craft supplies (which she used today to make valentines) and a bubble gun. Then we headed into the kitchen to blow out the candles and eat cupcakes. I spread out a blanket in the toy room and allowed the kids to eat fish crackers, and gummy dots. They watched Dora episodes and played nicely together for 50 minutes! The adults sat upstairs and visited. I did have to vacuum after everyone left but other than that the room was clean. I've heard from two parents so far that their kids had a good time. It was a lot of fun. Next year I hope Emily will go along with my idea for a nice paper doll party. Where I have someone else do all the prep work!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
The kids loved the party. You outdid yourself.
Post a Comment