The keynote speaker at our district professional development day, on Friday, spoke to us about the good and bad about the internet. It was very informative. I must admit that by half way through the presentation I was wondering if I wanted my children on it at all! :) But at the end it was all brought into perspective. The thing is that the internet is a wonderful and destructive place all at the same time. If we don't educate ourselves on the programs and internet devices (ie computer, cell phone, itouch, etc), then how can we educate our children on how to avoid those destructive places. If we aren't willing to be open with our children about why they need to avoid certain sites (and not just say because I say so), we are allowing children who don't see the whole picture make very important and life changing decisions. Have you actual read the privacy agreements you agree too. To be honest Facebook's policy is kind of scary. Do you know and your children know, that the internet is not private, it is very public!? Do you and your children know what they should and should not post about themselves? What is too much information? Do you know how to set up security and protect yourself? Do you know what your children are doing on the internet? Do your children know that you are available to talk to them about everything, without fear of being punished or having their technology taken away? The world is at their fingertips, and as parents, friends, and relatives it is our duty to make sure they have the tools they need. Get educated and set up boundaries. If you don't you are leaving their education up to those who may not have their best interest at heart. Don't be afraid to talk with your kids but don't forget, you are the parent, NOT their best friend. You can be a friend but if you allow the parent part to go away so that you can be their friend you are allowing someone else to be their parent. It is not an easy job but I have seen first hand what happens when parents drop the ball. I don't want to see that happen with anyone that I love. Trust me! I just wanted to pass this along. If you want more information on websites that can help you, etc please let me know. Part of the solution is educating ourselves and then not being afraid to educate others!
And remember, that the number one biggest threat to your kids on the internet is cyber bullying! And it can be even more hurtful and damaging than bullying at school!
Sunday, January 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
We had a police officer talk to our stake kids about this. Our bishop later had him come and teach in RS/Priesthood so parents would know too. It is scary if you don't know what to do.
Post a Comment