Monday, October 27, 2008

Emily's First Haunted House

One of the local elementary schools, Henderson Elementary, hosted a haunted house (in their gym) this last Thursday and Friday. Ashley called and invited us to go with their family (Matt, Ashley and Ethan) and our friend Lisa and her daughter Rachel. Landon came saying that he couldn't believe he was going to an elementary haunted house. I figured it would be fun for Emily. She dressed up as a winter fairy, that way I just added her wings over her vest and she could stay warm. :) Rachel was a beautiful ladybug and Ethan was an adorable dinosaur. We had to stand in a line up (inside the school) for almost 45 minutes. They had music playing so the kids took turns dancing and then running through the hallways. (With four of the five adults being teachers you would think we wouldn't allow that!) As we came up to the door Emily spotted a popcorn machine and so I went over and bought a bag for the kids to share. Ethan and Emily were enthralled with watching the popcorn pop! They allowed us to all go in together. Let me tell you, it was an excellent haunted house. Thankfully, in the first room they noticed we had toddlers so they didn't jump out and yell. But just from the creepy decorations and the music, both Emily and Rachel were a little unsure of what was going on. Ethan didn't make a peep the whole time. He just stared, what a man! (Matt was holding Ethan, Landon held Emily, and Lisa held Rachel.) As we left the stage and went down the stairs, loud banging came from the other side of the wall. Emily started clinging to her dad but didn't get upset till someone grabbed my foot as I took the last step and I yelled out. (I wasn't expecting it, and let's face it I'm a wimp who doesn't like to be in the dark!) She wasn't happy but soon quieted down. The noise got louder until Ashley yelled out, "We've got babies, take it easy." (The first part is definately what she said, the second part I'm a bit hazy on....) I started to giggle, then we all started giggling. Then a deep voice called out, "Babies, we LIKE babies." Then I started to laugh! It was hilarious. As we turned the corner I couldn't belive the decorations! It was awesome. Matt and Landon were being cynics until they realized it wasn't a hanging branch that was touching their hair and cheeks. One of the parents was laying across some boards above us and was touching them. They both thought that was cool. The rest of the walk through was uneventful thanks to Ashley reminding them every so often that small children were with us. By the end, Rachel was asking to go to "mommy's house" and Emily was saying "home" and "out" while pointing to the door. But no tears. Some older children (grades3-5) left crying so I'm glad they were good to us. Emily loved being with her friends but I think she will think twice about going to a haunted house again. I guess she is her mother's daughter!

2 comments:

Rita Peck said...

How fun. Tyson has a Halloween carnival this week that we are excited to take the kids to. Nothing haunted though. Glad the kids had a good time.

Kenton and Haylee said...

That's so fun! I don't know how Kenlee or Zack would handle a haunted house. I think we'll still wait a little while for that! I want to see pictures of Emmy as a fairy. Kenlee is going to be Tinker Bell, wings and all, and Zack is Mr. Incredible :). I can't wait to dress them up!