Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mel Hammel

(I swiped the above picture from his daughter's facebook page. I hope that is okay Sally. I just loved how he is singing and smiling. Just the way I will always remember him.)
My Great Uncle, Melvin Charles Hammel passed away today at the age of 88. My dad called me today to let me know. I am so glad I picked up my phone even if it meant I had to leave a meeting. To hear my dad give me the news was the strength I needed to make it through the rest of the day. Uncle Mel became a surrogate grandfather to me after both of my grandfathers passed away when I was 4. He told me a couple of years ago that he felt that the best gift he could give to his best friend Ray (my dad's father) was to look after his family. And he did. Uncle Mel and Aunt Rita are in many of my childhood memories. They came up from California to visit us in BC and Alberta. They even visited me when I was at Utah State University. They were welcoming to my husband at every family reunion. Landon loved sitting and listening to Mel tell stories. I will always remember his voice when he sang. I could listen to him sing for hours or just tell stories. This last November on Veterans Day I felt strongly to write him a letter thanking him for the service he gave during WWII. I talked about what a great influence he was in my life and that I would pass that knowledge on to my children. My parents were able to visit with Mel and Rita a few weeks ago. They went down and spent a week with them. I talked to my dad after the visit and he talked about how wonderful the trip was. How Mel and Rita sat and told stories about my grandparents, their lives, the war, everything. He told me that Mel mentioned how my letter had made him happy because he worries that people will forget the sacrifices made. I am grateful my parents were able to make it down to spend time making a few more memories. Life is so precious and fragile. I know that Mel is up in heaven causing havoc and singing his heart out; waiting somewhat patiently for his wife to join him. I am grateful for the knowledge that I will see him again one day. Thank-you Uncle Mel for your love, your example, and your generosity. My life is better because you have been in it.
Mel and Rita
One of the greatest Love Stories ever and its REAL

1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

Great tribute. I may steal those pictures for my blog. So behind I haven't had a chance to blog his passing