Emily
- Emily and I had doctor appointments last Wednesday and Emily has to have her last immunization shot before school. We had talked about it on the way there and the nurse talked to her as well. She dutifully went through her well child checkup and sat back down. The doctor and I talked as he went through the priliminary questions for my yearly check up (since I was a new patient to him.) Emily politely asked me to let the doctor know she was ready for her needle. I passed on the message and he went out to get the nurse. She came in and Emily climbed up on the table. The shot went into her thigh. I was hugging her which stopped her from sitting up when the shot went in. Emily instantly started to cry. I handed her the sucker from the nurse. She put it into her mouth and stopped crying within seconds. On the way home she told me that the nurse gave her a shot so the disgusting flu virus would not get her sick. I explained it wasn't for the flu virus but that now she can go to the big kid school in September. She then informed me that the shot hurts a little but big kids know that suckers take the pain away and so now it doesn't hurt.
- Emily has trouble calming down once she has become upset. (Just like her mother.) So for the fast 3 years she and I have been working on calm down strategies. It can take almost half an hour to calm her down and it can test my patience. The other night I was in bed and could hear Emily crying. I asked what was wrong and she told me she didn't want me to go downstairs but to stay upstairs. I informed her that I was in bed and planned to stay there (which is upstairs.) Suddenly she is in my room and sobbing. Almost hysterical. She gasping told me that she wanted a drink. I told her that I wasn't getting her a drink until she had calmed down and was back in bed. (I know, mean mom.) She headed back to bed and this is what I heard:
"It's ok Emmy. You can do it. Deep breath. Stop crying. *sob*sob* Deep breath. In through your nose and out your mouth. Blow through a straw. You can do it Emmy. That's it! That's it! Deep breath. You can do it Emmy!"
Over and over she repeated these type of statements. I actually started to giggle. (I know, mean mom) I was so proud of her though. It took less than 5 minutes for her to calm herself down. I told her how wonderful she was and gave her the cup. :) Love my little girl!
Collin
- He has taken some steps backward in his toilet training. He sleeps with a diaper at night because he is not able to make it through the night dry. The other night when I was cleaning a poopy diaper he told me that when he is big and strong like Emily that he will use the potty again. I told him it wasn't an option and that he was strong enough now. He thought about it and said maybe. I love him but there are days..... :)
- Every night before Collin goes to bed he tells me he loves me. It never gets old.
Thursday, January 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
your kids are so cute
Post a Comment