Emily and Collin wanted to throw a water/end of summer/Back to School party with their friends. I picked up a "water football" for each child. (I loved that they were on sale for 60% off, end of summer sale so they were less than a dollar a piece.) The football's soak up the water and then they can have a water balloon fight without the balloons. :) They invited Maggie, Cassie, Caleb, Mady, Bodi, Annabelle, Isaac, Bo and Til (pronounced Teal) over. There was a nice variety in ages. Caleb's mom Lauralee and Bo and Til's mom Erin stayed to help supervise and chat with me. It turned out to be a lot of fun even though it rained a little that morning. The first rain all month. Because of the rain and the tempermental mood of my lawn mower my lawn had not been mowed. :) The sun came out when the kids decided to start throwing the footballs around. When they got tired of throwing the footballs or blowing bubbles I brought out some fingerpainting supplies, which was pretty humourous. :) Emily had wanted to get lunchables for everyone but since that was not in the budget I made one big lunchable. The kids had crackers, cheese and lunch meat to choose from the tray. They each got a MinuteMaid juice box and a mini KitKat bar for dessert. I made sandwiches for the adults and Tyson. It was a really fun afternoon. It became a little chaotic at the end when parents started picking up kids. While I was talking with Ryan (one of the dad's) Bodi came out to tell me that Collin was crying in the bathroom. I figured that he had gone potty and needed some help. I got to the bathroom surprised to find the door shut. Collin hates shut doors. I tried to open the door only to find it locked. Figured everything was still okay since bathroom locks are easy to pick. Yeah unless some weird person decides to install a keyed lock on the bathroom. Yep a keyed lock which is not keyed to the front or back door key. I ask Collin to turn the handle. That doesn't open the door. I try to talk him through turning the lock. Doesn't work because he is in panic mode and begging me to let him out. I then notice that the door hinges are on the inside. Rita and Ryan have come into the house by now. I figure I am going to go get a hammer and bang the door down. Ryan suggests letting him try and do the credit card trick and get in. Collin calls out that he has to go pee. I suggest going on the potty. It was the only time he stopped crying. I left Ryan to his work. Rita called Nic at work to see if he had any ideas. None that we weren't already trying. I ask for a locksmith number. I call a local locksmith who says he will send someone over. It will cost $52. I figure that is less than a new door. Ryan decides that my bathroom door is more secure than his parent's front door as nothing will allow him to swipe through. By this time Quinn (another father) has come to pick up his kids and he tries to pick the lock with a knife. I grinned. Two different engineers with differend methods of opening the door both with no success. I try one last time with Collin. I ask him to open the door like he opens the front door after mommy locks it. Three seconds later my son is standing in front of me. Luckily the locksmith got the message when I called back and just kept on driving past my house so I didn't get charged the $52. (The kids waved at him as he drove by.) Landon and I bought a new door handle yesterday at Lowe's, one for bathrooms. Tomorrow I will install it. Now to worry about how often my son opens the front door after I lock it....
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment