I had an epiphany the other day.
I realized that most people just don't enjoy homemade gifts. Or maybe its just my homemade gifts..... This realization started when I was talking to a friend about what to get a mutual friend as a baby gift. It was baby number three and well she has everything. I had seen this really cool bag/baby blanket online and I was sure I could make it. As I was talking about it, my friend's face formed a fake smile. I realized, nope not a good idea. I have had three friends have kids recently and about four more are pregnant. I had thought about making some leather shoes (like Robeez) as gifts. But over the last few days I have had numerous flashbacks to the looks on people's faces when I have given homemade gifts. One was a roommate from college when she got married. I didn't have any money and I saw this really cute decoration in a magazine, so I made it. I showed it to people at work and they all thought it was cute (or at least they said they did...) and so I gave it. The look on my roommate's face when I gave it to her, well she wasn't exactly thrilled. And when I visited a year later I realized she didn't have it (I'll admit I looked because I remember how her face looked.) I wish I had put what little money I had into the gift my other roommates gave. The other flashback was to when I was painting signs for a few years. I gave a few away as gifts. In my mind they are cute and the few people I gave them to, nicely hung them in their homes but now I just feel bad. I've made some baby clothes over the years, bows, wall hangings, etc. And more often than not the person they were given to wasn't all to thrilled and most never used them. I could have saved all that time.... but I have now learned my lesson. So if you have something coming up and you were worried about what gift I might be sending your way, don't be. I promise I will only make stuff for my sisters, parents and my kids. They have to love what I give them! And this is an apology out to everyone out there that had to live through this phase.
Buying stuff on sale is okay, right.......
(I still really like homemade gifts so please keep them coming! And if you are lucky to get one of my sister's homemade gifts you would change your mind about homemade gifts!)
I realized that most people just don't enjoy homemade gifts. Or maybe its just my homemade gifts..... This realization started when I was talking to a friend about what to get a mutual friend as a baby gift. It was baby number three and well she has everything. I had seen this really cool bag/baby blanket online and I was sure I could make it. As I was talking about it, my friend's face formed a fake smile. I realized, nope not a good idea. I have had three friends have kids recently and about four more are pregnant. I had thought about making some leather shoes (like Robeez) as gifts. But over the last few days I have had numerous flashbacks to the looks on people's faces when I have given homemade gifts. One was a roommate from college when she got married. I didn't have any money and I saw this really cute decoration in a magazine, so I made it. I showed it to people at work and they all thought it was cute (or at least they said they did...) and so I gave it. The look on my roommate's face when I gave it to her, well she wasn't exactly thrilled. And when I visited a year later I realized she didn't have it (I'll admit I looked because I remember how her face looked.) I wish I had put what little money I had into the gift my other roommates gave. The other flashback was to when I was painting signs for a few years. I gave a few away as gifts. In my mind they are cute and the few people I gave them to, nicely hung them in their homes but now I just feel bad. I've made some baby clothes over the years, bows, wall hangings, etc. And more often than not the person they were given to wasn't all to thrilled and most never used them. I could have saved all that time.... but I have now learned my lesson. So if you have something coming up and you were worried about what gift I might be sending your way, don't be. I promise I will only make stuff for my sisters, parents and my kids. They have to love what I give them! And this is an apology out to everyone out there that had to live through this phase.
Buying stuff on sale is okay, right.......
(I still really like homemade gifts so please keep them coming! And if you are lucky to get one of my sister's homemade gifts you would change your mind about homemade gifts!)





5 comments:
It's true, but I DID really like the barrettes you made and sent me! :)
Well I loved your gifts so don't feel bad keeping them coming. I still have the sign you made me for my wedding. Of course it is with all the other stuff I can't hang up till I renovate my house. The problem is we are just like mom. Sorry you have felt underappreciated.
That's hilarious Tamara! I'm sorry you feel bad but it's probably not as bad as you think. :) I love homemade gifts. I'm just getting into that phase...hopefully I can come up with some good ones and I'll make sure to watch the reaction. :) I'll let you know how it goes. LOL
Ahhh. I love homemade gifts. Sorry you feel bad. Just so you know about 11 years ago you gave me a cookbook you had found who knows were and I still have it and love it. So not all gifts used or handmade go unappreciated.
When I got married you made a really neat scrape book for our pre- wedding memories and honey moon. I love it! We love to go back and look at it. But I do know what you mean about homemade gifts I feel the same way sometimes I figure I just have to be more picky with whom I give them to.
Post a Comment