Monday, June 15, 2009

My Mom's Recital


I just have to brag a little. My mom has always wished she "had musical talent." (Her words) She seems convinced that all if the musical ability her kids have come from their father. She constantly pushed/encouraged us to take lessons, practice, and volunteer our talents. She drove Naomi nuts with it! :) But we all knew that she so badly wanted to do it herself. But she had talked herself into believing that it was not a dream that was attainable. A few nasty people in her life said mean stuff and she believed them, Silly Woman! Last year she joined a weekly woman's ensemble. She kept telling me she only got invited because they wanted Naomi to sing in the group and that they needed more people. Well Naomi isn't here and they still wanted her back so there MOM! Last year they sang in the music festival, this year because of illnesses they weren't able to. Yesterday was the recital. (One of the women in the group is a voice/piano teacher. She was Naomi and Matt's teacher.) Mom did AWESOME! My mom has always had a flair for the dramatic (acting). They had her do a spoken solo of a poem at the begining of one of the pieces. It was BEAUTIFUL! It set the mood for the song. I am so proud of her. She has started to overcome her self doubts and is realizing a dream she has had her whole life. She keeps talking about maybe taking some lessons from Nancy and I hope she does. I think that she is going to surprise herself and find out that maybe Naomi got some of her talent from mom! Emily was so proud of her grandma and I am glad that she came with me to watch! Congrats mom!
(My mom is on the far right in the blue shirt)

2 comments:

Rita Peck said...

So jealous. When I found out about it yesterday I so wanted to be there. I agree about mom having talent and I am glad she can start seeing it.

Janice Tofsrud said...

Way to go Janet!