Monday, October 24, 2011

The World from a 4 year old's View

Yesterday was the primary presentation during sacrament meeting. Emily has been practicing her line and the songs for a few weeks. She was so excited. Especially when she found out that Grandma and Grandpa Palmer were going to be there to watch her. We got to church a little late but we were able to get into our places. Emily was the first child to get up to say their line. She did exactly as she had practiced. She walked up, pulled the mike down to her level and said, "Feast upon the words of Christ." Then she sat down and gave me a thumbs up and a big smile. (I was sitting behind her with some of the other kids her age. The presentation went very well and I was really impressed with all that participated. Landon even came up when it was time for all the older boys to sing their song (he was supposed to because he teaches that age group but he kept threatening not to come up.) The kids sat very well through it and I think it was a great success. Because they had all done very well the primary president gave every child a can of pop and a bag of microwave popcorn to have at home. That way there was no mess at church. Emily proudly came and showed us the can of "Diet" pop she had picked up and told us she was going to give it to Collin. I was surprised she had picked it up because we don't drink diet soda at my house and I won't bore you with the reason why. :) She had passed up Orange soda which is her favourite. At home I asked her why she had picked it. This was the conversation:

Me: Emily why did you pick a diet soda?
Emily: Because diet soda makes you skinny.
Me: (Very puzzled as I have definitely never said that.) Who told you that?
Emily: The boys. (She couldn't make up her mind which pop and so the boys in her class told her that.)
Me: Emily you don't need to worry about being skinny.
Emily: (Giving me a puzzled look which almost made me think she thought I was stupid.) But mom, I have skin. See skinny! (And then she pinched her arm to show me.)

I busted out laughing. So there you go, she must have been worried that Collin didn't have enough "skinny" so she got a diet soda for him. :) I love kids!

Last week (I think Wednesday or Thursday) I was putting Collin to bed and he was telling me about all the super heroes. He knows them all. And their respective villains. There was Batman, Robin, Penguin, Joker, Catwoman, and the other batman villains. Then there was Captain America, the Hulk (who gets "MAD!" and then gets strong according to Collin) Iron Man, Rodi, Thor, Cyclops, Aquaman, the green goblin and the list goes on and on. Eventually he winds the list down and says, "But mom, Spiderman is my hero. He captures bad guys. And he is my HERO." It was really cute. I love watching him act out the different super heros and here about their adventures and their origin stories. I can't believe how much knowledge about super heroes he has in his little two year old head. It is at times like that I realize just how much I love my little super hero. And then he goes back to be a two year old. Those good memories are helping me get through. :)

1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

love their imaginations.