Monday, November 22, 2010

Remembrance Day

My mom brought me a poppy from Canada when she came down on November 1st. I was so happy to wear it! One of the students at my school is from England and her grandmother had sent her a poppy from England. The two of us had our poppies on every day. It started a conversation in the Social Studies class I team teach. The teacher I teach with reminisced to me about when she used to wear a poppy to school on Veterans Day (Nov 11). She came up with the idea that we would talk to all the 8th grade social studies classes about poppies, and Veterans Day. And then they would each make three poppies out of crepe paper. Then 14 students volunteered to come in on their lunch break and help MariLana and I make up the remaining poppies so that there was enough for each student and staff member. On November 11th all homerooms received a bag of poppies, and a copy of the poem, "In Flanders Fields." It was so neat. On each poppy we attached a slip of paper that said Lest We Forget. We had a moment of silence at 11 o'clock as well. It did cause a little uproar with one staff member who informed MariLana that poppies were Canadian and that the US only recognized a yellow ribbon on Veterans Day. After a little research we discovered that she was wrong but we were good and did not say anything. :) I am so thankful for all the Veterans who have fought for freedom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, what a cool idea and well implemented!

Rita Peck said...

Glad it went well and it was funny that the teacher was so upset. Some people....