Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Christmas Tree

As Emily and I put up our Christmas Tree today I was overcome with memories from our mismatched decorations. Just a few memories:
1. The bows I made the first Christmas we had a tree. We had no money to buy ornaments and someone had given us a really nice fake tree. I bought two $1 spools of wire ribbon and made bows. Definitely not professional looking but I can't bring myself to fix them. So I hung them on the tree smiling that now they are surrounded by more ornaments.

2. Ornaments from Sis Perry. For Relief Society, my third year in Powell River, we did a gift exchange. You weren't supposed to spend more than 5 dollars and were encouraged to make something for the person whose name you drew. Sis Perry handed me a very large bag. I think she may have missed the directions because it held about 6 beautiful ornaments, Christmas tea towels and few Christmas decorations. It was another tight Christmas and these 6 ornaments became my first store bought gorgeous ornaments. All child proof. Which is so nice because Emily was able to play with them today before hanging them up. I cried.

3. Metal Snowmans. The bookman who came to the staff room at James Thomson Elementary School had brought in a beautiful metal snowman tin and five metal snowmans. Very different looking but the price was right at $7 so I bought them. I love how the lights reflect on them. When I look at them I think of the good memories I had at JT. I even have a beautiful sled ornament made out of popcycle sticks from Lisa Traer's class my last year at JT.

4. Crafty Christmas Balls. One Christmas Ball is embrodered and quilted with beautiful material. My Grandma Knoll gave it to me for Christmas 4 years ago with a note that reads, "Your Grandma Hull made this for me one year. I thought that it would mean a lot to you to have it. Love Gram K." She is right it does. I don't have many things from Grandma Hull. I treasure the ball. The other ball my mother made using many sequins and pins. It is beautiful and the light reflect off of it at night. As Emily picked it up she said, "Its beautiful!"

5. White scene ornaments. My Aunt Margaret does up a couple of beautiful white ornaments on her sewing machine every year. They look crocheted. I love them. They are simple and beautiful. My Aunt Margaret inspires me in so many ways. I love looking at the ornaments and the incredible stockings that she has made for me and my family. She holds a dear place in my heart.

6. Snowflakes. When Jared Holmgren was married he decorated with foam snowflakes. As I had Emily at the time I grabbed a handful when they were offered to me. Everytime I look at them I think of the Holmgren family and their generosity they have offered to me over the years.

7. Handmade Ornaments. My mom and Ashley have made some beautiful ornaments over the last few years and given them to me. I love hanging them on the tree. It makes them feel closer when they are so far away. I also have a handmade ornament from Vicki Caldwell. When I was no more than 8, Vicki made a cross stich ornament for every child in our primary. Mine says, "Tamara is a Child of God". Every child received one with their name on it. I love mine. What a labour of love. The Caldwells have played such a large role in my life and I am so grateful of the small reminder I get to see on my tree.

There are also ornaments from friends, one from Halifax from Lance and Amber, an A&W bear playing hockey to help me remember home, one from the PR Primary for Emily, decorations that the Coe's helped Emily make for me. I am blessed to be surrounded by so much love, good friends and family. I am so happy to have a tree that embodies that at this time of year.

2 comments:

Rita Peck said...

I wish I still had my child of God ornament. I think the mice got it one year. My kids put our tree together this year and though it looks a little goofy I admit I wanted to cry watching them put it all together. The memories a tree brings are priceless

mom said...

wow I miss you and all excitment Christmas brings when children are small