Saturday, October 9, 2010

Craters of the Moon Field trip

I had never been to or knew much about Craters of the Moon National Monument in Idaho when I found out the 8th grade class was going. I was able to go along with 8 other adults and our 120 students. It was nice to get to know two of the school's science teachers on the 2 hour bus ride each way. I learned alot about the fascinating earth science features that naturally happen in Idaho. Luckily it wasn't too hot of a day with a light breeze. The forecast had predicted rain so I was glad that they were wrong. The first thing we did after the ranger talked to us about the rules was climb a cinder cone. A complete hill formed from the ash falling from the volcano vent over 2000 years ago. Totally awesome. The rock/ash was sparkly. I didn't expect that. The climb was rather steep and I discovered that not only am I out of shape but my body has still not completely acclimated here. The top of the hill is 7000 above sea level. My lungs were burning! But the view was incredible. To look out and actually see the black hardened lava. (Can't remember the name of it. Guess I should have paid more attention) I could just imagine what it looked like red and glowing, how it flowed etc. It was really neat to see how certain areas must have had a high enough elevation because there will be a small green island of grass in the sea of black. We then climbed up to two vents. Lots of climbing but so worth it. My legs were BURNING. I love that feeling. :) The students were really good only a few yahoos who were of course from my homeroom. But no accidents even when they were running down the hillsides. I wish I had brought my camera. We then headed over to the caves. Everyone brought sweaters, hats and flashlights. My brother in law had kindly lent me 3 flashlights which I ended up lending out two to girls who did not have flashlights that worked. :) Gotta love 8th graders. We hiked Indian Cave first which was really neat. The caves are acutal lava tubes! Some have collapsed over time. There aren't many you can climb in now because of this happening. We then went in boy scout caves. One went into a large cavern that one end had collapsed making it so you had to go back in the entrance. The other cave you had to slither down into and the only way out was on your stomach crawing. I ended up going back up the entrance because the students were taking so long I was getting claustraphobic. And I'm a coward. :) The last cave is Beauty and it is a simple large cave you walk in and out of. We ended up going back into the Boy Scout cavern so that the Earth Science teacher could tell them a ghost story about the place in the pitch dark. I was trying not to laugh but couldn't help it when he reached the end. He told them that the wind you may feel in the tunnels is from the spirits of the three dead boy scouts and could they feel it. While it was quiet a drop of water and small pebble from the ceiling fell on the neck of one of the girls. She screamed. It was so funny! It was a long day, (8:30am-5:30pm) but well worth it. It makes me want to return with my kids. But maybe not until they are a little older. I wouldn't want them falling over an edge and getting hurt. I highly recommend it to everyone!

1 comment:

Rita Peck said...

Sounds like lots of fun. Always wanted to go