"Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves."
J M Barrie (author of Peter Pan)
If I were to write this email three days ago it would be completely different. I had been throwing myself a pity party for over a week. I knew good things were happening to me but all I could see was the stress from work, an unpacked/dirty home, an extra 10 pounds on top of the 5 I wanted to lose at the beginning of the summer, so forth and so forth. And then Sunday night I read the above quote. Changed everything. I started seeing the positive. I realized that I was not being patient.
As an example: I have been looking forward to moving hoping it was my chance to create some new friendships. In Powell River I didn't have a social life outside of my immediate family (brother, sister in law, mom, dad). Don't get me wrong. They were absolutely over the moon fantastic. But I have really wished to have some girlfriends which I saw outside of work. I am a social person but my husband is not. I have always thought of myself as a friendly person who was a pretty good friend. And that I made friends easily. I have an absolutely wonderful staff at work. So friendly, kind, open, supportive all those qualities you want in coworkers. I car pool with two wonderful women. But nothing outside of school. For the first three Sunday's I went to church, sat by people, said hi, introduced myself, made comments in classes, all the things you do to meet people. Three people talked with me over the three weeks. They all know Rita and were wondering if I was her twin. I was excited to talk to them but the conversations were only once and short. I smile at people and get blank looks back. Rita and her friends are kind to invite me out but its not the same. Rita is over the moon wonderful. I couldn't ask for a better friend or sister but I was worrying that I was asking for too much and counting on her too often. So instead of thinking what you are all thinking, "It's only been three weeks!" All I could see was no one wants to be my friend, my history in friendship doesn't really show a great track record with me being a good friend, I just annoy people and on and on and on.
See I was pretty messed up. But the quote changed it for me. I was so busy seeing the negative I wasn't allowing any postive in. So I promised the Lord I would start to see the positive and be positive with others. Find the good, give compliments etc. Landon left Monday afternoon for Canada and I was stressed about it being Emily and I for 4 days. Rita stepped in, she has Emily all day, then feeds us dinner, we do scripture study with them and then head home. Once Rita's kids are asleep she comes over and helps me unpack. My living room, kids room and toy room are now done. In only TWO nights! Nic came and moved all the furniture I needed moved to unpack stuff into. He solved a couple of problems for me. Rita is calling around trying to find me a free box spring so my bed can get off the floor. And guess what: I am feeling so stress free! I hadn't realized how much it was weighing on me having an unpacked house. Emily walked into the toy room when we finished last night. I asked her if she liked the room and she said, "It's perfect." (in a soft quiet voice with her eyes wide.) Its not a professional room or even completely done yet but she loves it. I almost cried.
The best news is tonight Nic and Rita are taking me to Idaho Falls with them to go to the temple.
We truly need to remember that when we bring sunshine into the lives of others it shines back at us.
PS No you cannot have Rita for your sister. She is mine. (Well except for Naomi and Ashley. I will share with you.)





3 comments:
I always thought you to be a pretty darn good friend. Glad you and Rita are having so much time together. Enjoy the temple this weekend!
Tamara, you are a WONDERFUL person, mother, wife, friend, sister and I LOVE YOU!!!! Don't think any less. :)
It was so fun to spend the week with you. Your house is so cute.
Post a Comment