Friday, September 24, 2010

A "little" update

I have come up to breathe long enough to catch up on our lives here on the blog. This is my family history so I am sorry if this is a little long.

We had a pretty uneventful trip down once we received the visa. We arrived in Vancouver Wednesday night. Thursday morning I went to check the mail multiple times. The mail was not there by 10:30am. We started to get worried. Then my aunt's neighbor mentioned that the mail doesn't get there until 2pm. So we went out for lunch. The mail was in the box by 2 pm and my visa was there! After a dance of joy and a teaful goodbye to my dad we headed for the border. The border crossing guard gave Nic a hard time about working for the FBI. She decided he was okay when she found out that he was a techie. It helped releave my stress. An hour of waiting in the wait room and I walked out with my temporary permanent residence visa in my passport. They were really nice and let me take the kids to the washroom and go out to get things from the truck. They don't all let you do that but we did use the Aldergrove crossing which helps ALOT. The kids didn't sleep well so I got about 2 hours of sleep in total. We arrived in Pocatello at 7:30am. Just in time for Nic to be there as Russell walked to the bus for his first day of school. It was really important to Russell that his dad be there so I was glad that we made it back. Landon and Nic unloaded the truck, I showered and went into work at 10am. Yep on two hours of sleep. Needless to say I don't really remember much from my first day or the 25 minute drive home. Scary since most of the drive is on the highway going 75 mph (120 kmph). I taught three classes as well. With no lesson plan. Good thing I can think on my feet. :)

The school had been so good to let me come three days late I didn't want to make them scramble for one more day. The staff here are FANTASTIC! So supportive, friendly and welcoming. The principal is wonderful, I couldn't ask for a nicer place to work. (Even though I do miss my old schools.) The students were disappointed to find out I don't speak Spanish but they seem to have gotten over it. Of the 50 students I see a day (either homeroom or teaching) 42 are hispanic. I am really enjoying the change. Matt has helped me out with translating a few words and phrases. :) Now that my students know that I know someone who can translate there isn't as much Spanish thrown at me. :) They are hoping that Matt will visit when he comes out in February because they think he sounds AWESOME. See Matt you have that reputation whether you are their teacher or not. There is a teacher here that reminds me of Matt with his fun antics and energy. I think you would love this school Matt!

Our house is still in transition. Both in us purchasing it and unpacking/organizing. I love having a house! There is so much room! The kids are loving it, they love their bed room and the toy room. Especially the toy room. Even though most of the toys are still in boxes. I go to work at 6:30 am and get home just before 5pm. By the time dinner is made, clean up, and then trying to get the kids into bed, I am just too tired to unpack. Last night I spent 2 1/2 hours organizing and cleaning the kitchen. Crazy! I've had to reorganize the pantry a few times because every time I open a new box I find more for the kitchen. I still haven't found my hair dryer yet so hopefully it won't be in the last box. I've got about 14 more to go. Then organizing. Thankfully I have a week off in October so my goal is to have at least half the house organized. Maybe paint the bathroom... Hmmm. It all depends on the finances. :)

Landon's parents came up and stayed Saturday and Sunday with us the first weekend. It is so nice to have a spare bedroom with a bed and everything! People can actually come and visit! We had a wonderful time with them and were so happy they came. The kids enjoyed having them in the house.

The first Sunday I went to our new ward my kids were HORRIBLE! I have never had to take them out so much. They loved nursery though. There are 13 kids in their class. Emily is the oldest but she doesn't mind. I loved going to Sunday School with just Landon. :) The lesson was on Job and I really felt a personal connection to the story after this last summer.

I struggled through most of the next week but I will leave that for another post. Landon's birthday was on the 18th so we left to go stay with his parents at their cabin near Yellowstone Park after I got off work on Friday. I knew it would mean alot to Landon so that was his birthday present from me. I took the weekend off from unpacking and off we went. We had a wonderful visit. Cade and Janie came over Saturday morning and wished Landon a happy birthday before heading into the park with their friends. It was a lazy morning and so we took the kids to Yellowstone Discovery Center in the afternoon. Emily loved the bears and wolves. Collin was going nuts running around. I didn't really mind until I watched the wolves follow Collin's movements. After that I took Collin to the playground at the Center until Emily was done watching animals. The playground was really cool. I hope to get some pictures from Vauna. The kids killed the batteries on my camera and so I haven't been able to take any pictures. My daredevil children loved the playground for 5-12 year olds. Collin and Emily loved climbing a small climbing wall up to the slides. They would push past an overweight 10 year old who was having difficulty climbing up it. I felt bad for her. Collin is as much as daredevil when it comes to slides as Emily. Oh the fun! No one watching him belived me when I said he was only 18 months old. Mel (my father in law) took us out to dinner at Landon's favourite ribs place. It is an old lodge. When I came back from taking Emily to the bathroom I was laughing so hard! Picture this: Creamy white coloured walls, pink stenciled roses as the border, a framed doile on the wall, a garland over the sink, and five pictures of half naked cowboys with their topless girl friends. Yep. Topless with strategically placed arms. See the restaurant shares the building with a "Saloon". I have never laughed so hard in a bathroom. I tried to convince Landon to go in the Men's room but he refused. The food was very delish! The kids were okay. Vauna (my mother in law) made a beautiful cake so we headed back to the cabin to eat it (an Ice Cream of course). Emily kept asking where Daddy's candles were so we found some matches, put them in the cake and lit them. It was pretty funny. Emily loved singing happy birthday to her dad. We drove home to Pocatello after the cake. The kids fell asleep in the car and actually stayed asleep. I should also mention that after crying until 1am Collin slept until 9 am! First time I have had 8 straight hours of sleep since June. I was in heaven. And they did the same thing Saturday night!

Sunday Landon woke up sick. So he stayed in bed as I ventured to church with the kids all by myself. :) The kids were really good. The few times they started to act out either the woman behind us or next to us would reach over and lend a different toy to my kids. The kindness of strangers. They both told me that they had been in my shoes before and were glad to help. It made my day. I get shy when in new situations but I forced myself to go out of my way to introduce myself to people. I had a really enjoyable time at church. The rest of the day was spent laying around. I finished up a decorative family tree for my living room. I really like how it turned out, especially framed.

Landon was better by Monday and this week has been a really great week. I am so blessed. Rita and Nic have been saintly. They have helped out with everything. I'm trying to be better about calling them because I don't want to annoy them but I could not have made it through the last week without them. I am so blessed with family and friends!

4 comments:

Rita Peck said...

we love having you here and am glad things are settling down. We don't mind helping out at all. DO you want me to watch the kids while Landon is gone and you are teaching?

Luscher Family said...

i am sure you sister loves have you close by. Hope things get settled soon.

Unknown said...

I am soooo glad you are starting to settle in! And that things are going so well!!! I can not wait to see you guys! You are awesome to open your new home to us. I will totally help you unpack if you want! :) I love moving...not so much the moving part, but unpacking and organizing is so liberating. Love you guys and see you in a week!!!!

Jim and Joy said...

Blessed and lucky to have the support that you do.... Others would struggle, falter.... and fall given the struggles that you have been paid to endure. But you have made it,,, still standing, able to collectively observe the environment that you are in.. Well done Tamara,... you have built a strong and healthy family..... the rest, hopefully will be enjoyable....