Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Quiet Time, Oh my!

In our house we don't have "bed time", we have "quiet time". Six months ago I discovered that if I changed what bed time was called the tantrums around bed time almost completely disappeared. Emily and Collin both know that "quiet time" means that we have read scriptures, said prayers, brushed teeth and now it is time to sit in their beds and play with their respective games. Emily has her DS and Collin has a handheld video thing which plays Max and Ruby. (His favourite show.) Quiet time really means don't leave your room or bug your mother. :) This was a perfect solution until Emily found a loop hole. I don't check on them often. Actually at all. They always fall asleep within half and hour and so I don't check until I am ready for bed. Emily discovered that she could climb into her brother's bed and play with him as long as they stay quiet. I caught on quick but hey they always ended up back in their beds to sleep so who cares. Its all about my quiet time, right... Well I made cookies last week for a friend and her family. They were going to be delivered the next day so I had them covered in Saranwrap and on the table. Emily and Collin had helped me make the cookies and had been allowed to eat the ugly cookies. Bed time comes and I find myself sitting on the couch with a book. Ahhh! So nice. Then I hear, "Go, go, go, wait. Go, go, go, fast. Go Collin Go." I turn and look to see Emily peeking around the doorway of her room, pointing to the kitchen table, telling her brother to go. He was almost to the cookies when she noticed me. She yelped and jumped into bed. Collin looked over his shoulder at me, giggled, turned, ran back to his room and climbed into his bed. Needless to say I keep a better eye on them now. (I will admit I was laughing so hard at the time that they didn't get in trouble. It was so cute to see them work as a team. What am I going to do when they get older? They are only 1 and 3!)

3 comments:

Kenton and Haylee said...

That is hilarious! Oh how I love and miss your cute kids. You'll find that they'll scheme and do a lot of naughty team work together. Zack and Kenlee still do. Can't wait to see you all next month!!

Unknown said...

Bwahahahaha! That's hilarious. And she just left him hanging on booked it back to her room??? LOL go figure. My kids haven't done that a whole lot...maybe because I haven't caught them...???

Rita Peck said...

That is awesome. I can totally see them doing that. Good luck in the coming years....I guess you could hope they become enemies but for your sanity this would be much easier